Developers, like me, are writing software for things that could kill me.
Did you see this news story? An error in programming gave hospital patients overdoses of radiation for 18 months before it was detected. If you read the story, it boils down to the fact that the guy in charge messed with settings he shouldn’t have been allowed to even see. So, maybe we don’t blame the programmers…
One of the more interesting facets of Old Testament study to me is to look for a passage’s ties to the New Testament. You can accomplish that goal through a variety of means. You can serach for repeated words and themes, look for direct quotations, or find times when New Testament authors made references back to a story or passage.
Here’s some FREE tools that will help you on your Bible research.
- E-Sword is free Bible software. There are several “extras” you can download. Some are free, some are not. When I last checked though, the ESV translation (my favorite) is available as a free download thanks to the generosity of the folks at Good News Publishers. If you’ve never used Bible software, you really should try. You get all the benefits of an exhaustive concordance without breaking your back each time you pick it up.
- Bible Gateway has several online translations to choose from. You can search cross-references and everything. You’ve got to be online for this resource.
- Study Light also has free resources: commentaries, Bibles, maps, etc. You might find it beneficial.
- Bible.ca has all sorts of material from Bible studies to maps. While no site is perfect, these guys do a good job of trying to put as much evidence as possible for your consideration. (Side note: this is also the host of Mark Copeland’s Executable Outline series – a Kissime, FL preacher’s online archive of sermons. No, Keith, this isn’t where mine come from…)
- I got an email today with a list of sites that have Bible maps. I’ll just copy and paste the list for your convenience.
If you find a site that’s particularly good, please comment and let’s get it added to a list of good resources. Thanks!